Sunday, October 23, 2016

October 1st Post

It's been a week since I attended the World Food Prize Global Youth Institute conference in Iowa, and I am already missing it.

I learnt so much about food security, met so many amazing friends from different states, and talked with a lot of professionals (including Former President of Malawi and US secretary of agriculture). I also had the chance to present my paper which is about malnutrition in Cambodia in front of several professionals in this field! I will never forget about this memorable experience.

After this trip, I also thought of some of the things that we did in Iowa that could also be done in my Signature on a smaller scale. For example, the meal packaging event. We packed rice and beans as a group for families overseas that are struggling to eat a nutritious meal. When it is closer to Christmas, I can perhaps plan a "cookie decorating and packaging" activity, and send the cookies to Joseph's House.

Last week, I met with Ms Mossop about our first trip to Joseph's House. We will be making dinner for a group of 50 people in Joseph's House from scratch, from creating the menus to finding different sponsors for ingredients to actually cooking it at Joseph's House. I am responsible for designing a healthy dessert menu, as well as asking the Emma community and local Troy markets for food donations.

I am also in the process of designing other healthy recipes for my cookbook, and will be meeting Mr Bayer next week for more ideas.

I can't wait to get started!


1 comment:

  1. Great work, Joy! Do you have any pictures from Iowa that you can share via the blog? Do you have a link to your Cambodia paper/presentation? That would be interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete